Graduating from Fasilkom UI

 Alhamdulillahi rabbil 'aalamiin, no word could describe how grateful I am today. Watch my virtual graduation here!

  • Graduated in 3,5 years
  • Graduated with cum laude honor
  • Gave commencement speech
  • Became most outstanding student (at least 4th place lol)
  • Accepted in an international research internship
  • Won competitions
  • Led organizations
  • Accepted in fully-funded scholarship
  • Maybe some other things I can't remember

Never have I ever thought about all those things. Maybe I did think about it but most of them were unplanned. It's truly a long journey and I remember saying I wouldn't graduate in 3,5 years at the beginning of my college journey but things turned out to be different :D

Today, I'm officially graduated from Faculty of Computer Science, Universitas Indonesia. I had the honor to give a commencement speech as the representation of all the bachelor graduates this semester. It was astonishing that I'd come to this point. Not the achievements or the degree that I gained but the efforts I did through the challenges.

Through these 3,5 years, I've struggled to achieve all my dreams and goals, struggled to stay mentally and spiritually healthy, giving help and impacts to others. It wasn't an easy ride, but I did enjoy all the process. The efforts I made to this point are the ones that define who I am today. Allah also never defines me by my achievement but by my efforts only for Allah.

I remember clearly there was a time where my goals were being made fun of and I was laughed at just because I'm a woman and I'm not one of the TOKIs (Tim Olimpiade Komputer Indonesia/Indonesian Computer Olympiad Team). Particular someone believed I couldn't achieve my dreams. It made me really down and depressed, I had to see a psychologist for some while. I think people shouldn't make fun of someone else's goals. Even if you don't have faith in someone's potency, just cheer them up, lift them toward their goals. You'll either be a contributor to their success or someone who's remembered as a good friend.

I'm very grateful that my religion, Islam, never judges people just because they're women or just incapable. I'm very grateful that Islam really appreciates women. There's no prohibition for muslim women to excel in their field, to give impacts, or to achieve achievements. Men and women are the same and have the same right in terms of the obligation to studying.

All thanks to Allah. Laa haula wa laa quwwata illa billah, there's no power nor might except with Allah's. I've gone through all the obstacles in college with the power of iman and tawakkal. Some people got demotivated, some depressed, and so on. With iman and tawakkal, I believe that there's Allah Who has bestowed His sustenance on each and every creature on earth. I resist complaining because I believe everything is from Allah and I could do good things with these. In Islam, tawakkal is the act of perfect trust in Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and Him alone. I always did my best in everything but I leave all the results to Allah who determines. Allah sent me to an informal islamic school when I was in elementary school and the same did happen in college. Through these islamic studies, I learned about islamic values that I believe brought me to who I am today. I'm truly grateful for everything I have.

But achievements are pointless if they have no impact on those around you. Khairunnas 'anfauhum linnas, "The best man among you is the one who contributes the most to the mankind." (Bukhari and Muslim). That's what prophet Muhammad shallallahu 'alaihi wasallam said. Today, I'm achieving something and tomorrow I'm ready to give greater impacts to others :)

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts